Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday in Sevilla

Hola-- i'll try to type over the blaring Holy Week procession going on a few streets over.

First of all-- FELIZ CUMPLEANOS, CRAIG! Hope you enjoyed your birthday, and that the shows went well!


This morning, nos despertamos (we woke up) to find that it was a gorgeous day in Sevilla: hacía sol (it was sunny), there were clear skies, and temperatures were in the high 60s (well, 20s if we're talking Celsius). Desafortunadamente (unfortunately), Laura was still not feeling 100%, and she decided that one more full day of rest would ensure her recovery... we've got a wild week ahead! Antsy to get out of the room, I followed my nose down to the kitchen, where Ana and Vicki were hard at work hovering over la estufa (the stove). I didn't have to take 2 steps closer to figure out why I was feeling a huge blast of nostalgia: it smelled EXACTLY like Grandma Vivie's french toast!! They must have noticed my awkwardness by the door, so I followed my orders to "Venga! Sarita!" (Come here!)... Turns out, they were making a Semana Santa (Holy Week) specialty: Torrijas. It is prepared just like french toast-- bread dipped in egg and fried, but it is also smothered in fresh miel (honey). Naturally, I was persuaded to "Prueba la torrija!" (Try one!) It was delicious! I mentioned that my grandma has a similar specialty, in that she always mixes cinnamon and sugar and sprinkles it on. In a second, Ana returned with the cinnamon and sugar and set 3 torrijas aside to be decorated. I love her.

After eating, she talked to me a little about Semana Santa, and why it's good that Laura and I will be leaving Sevilla half way through to avoid the massss tourist rush. "Qué horror, qué horror!" I can never keep a straight face when she purses her lips looks down and starts shaking her head. Basically, during this week-- religious or not-- you flood the streets and look on as the streets flood with music and processions, or floats. Countless hermandades (religious brotherhoods and associations) march through through the streets with over 100 different pasos (floats) to the beat of the well-known marcha procesional (special music). Most of the pasos come out late at night and into the early morning hours, which is why Ana has stopped going... But more than just being processions in the streets, Semana Santa also marks the arrival of Spring-- which is definitely in full burst! ...The people who march have been practicing for months, and the week officially kicks off this Sunday (Palm Sunday). I'm thinking my friends are going to try to catch a paso or two, but it really gets hard to get near the mob scene when it is all in full swing!

After doing a massive room clean, spending a few hours on la terraza with some magazines, and a one-on-one comida with Ana, I hit the road... Ana was VERY firm that I leave this house and get out in the sunlight-- I wasn't arguing there! I met up with the Abby's in el Centro and we walked around Plaza Nueva and made our way over to el Barrio de Santa Cruz (The old Jewish quarter). We sat there for a while and had some tinto verano --kind of like sangria. After that, we weaved through some streets with cool stores and headed over to la puente de Triana-- the famous Triana Bridge. Normally, I only venture over here at night, because it is the bridge you take over to Calle Betis (our favorite strip of bars). During the day, the view is BEAUTIFUL. Before crossing over the bridge, we walk along the river and stopped in front of el Torre del Oro: the Gold Tower. It initially served as a prison during the Middle Ages and a military watchtower... now, it's a naval museum. After crossing the bridge, we walked a decent amount until breaking through into Los Remedios-- the site-to-be of LA FERIA!!! It was cool seeing the preparations already taking place... people have set up their casetas, or tents/bars. Very social and convenient to have in the heat of the weather to come.

On our way back home, we stopped at the other side of el Parque de Maria Luisa-- I hadn't realized there were two parts to it, but this side was equally beautiful and peaceful. There were significantly fewer people scattered in the grass and gardens. We got close to the river and just relaxed there, looking on at the boats. It was such a nice afternoon.

I walked the rest of the way home, which was pretty far but I felt like I needed this time to myself. When I finally arrived, I was greeted by IAGO! He was cheery as ever, but regretted to inform me that "Ana se cayó" (Ana fell). Apparently, as she would tell us herself (and she repeated it a few times even thereafter), she went out with a watering can and slipped. She landed on her arm and wound up with a bucket of water all over her face. She was in good spirits about it-- able to laugh and everything. Most comical was that this had happened early in the afternoon and she waited to go to the hospital until after her beauty parlor appointment... Anyway, Iago and I talked for a solid half hour sobre la marcha (about nightlife). He tried convincing me to go out tonight, but I wasn't going anywhere this evening without Laura. I think it's great that he and his friends-- even at age 28-- are more lively and pro-marcha than ever! His philosophy is that Friday nights are NECESSARY party nights after a long week of work. Cheers to that!

All right, going to get some rest and hope Laura is feeling healthy tomorrow... big plans to get out again tomorrow!

Buenasssss!!

No comments:

Post a Comment