Thursday, January 28, 2010

El fin de la semana de trabajo

http://elcomienzo.shutterfly.com/

Buenos d
ías de la terraza (Good morning from the balcony). The weather today is absolutely gorgeous-- much less viento (wind) than yesterday. I can't believe we've officially been here a week and change, and la semana de trabajo ya terminó (the work week has come to an end)... I can't say I've done much trabajo this week, but I am definitely ready for the weekend!

Two nights ago, Laura and I decided to stay in, rather than brave another night on the town because-- not to sound like complete tools-- we got really absorbed en un programa de televisión (TV show) with Ana and Manolo after eating dinner. It's called: Españoles en el mundo. The show takes you to different sitios (places) all over the world, like Guatemala, Malasia, Jordania and Atenas and explores the land and what different people do. We were glued to the Mexico edition. One part of the episode featured how to make Tequila-- we had ninguna idea que el tequila viene del jugo de las piñas (no idea that it derives from the pineapple) and we watched the process of making it from start to end. It was really cool!

The next morning, Laura tenía clase (had class) so I decided to meet some friends in el Centro. Definitely look at las fotos (the pictures) to see a taste of what I saw, although I don't think my picture-taking skills really did it much justice. We explored Plaza Nueva, el Catedral, y la iglesia dónde se casaron Ana y Manolo (the same church where Ana and Manolo were married!) We poked our heads into many of the little tiendas (shops), both Spanish and American, and tried to pinpoint places where we'd like to come back for lunch on the days it will take too much time to commute back and forth from La Universidad. I like that the university is situated so nicely into el Centro. I had gone the night before, but everything looks so much different in daylight. I think one of my favorite spottings was that of the vestidos de Flamenco (Flamenco dresses). Some women (at least the really wealthy ones) spend thousands of euros on this special dress that they premier at La Feria-- this is the biggest fair in Sevilla that takes place in the spring (April) that generally runs for 6 days. There are parties, parades, and LOTS of traditional dancing. Laura and I plan to buy some sort of dress for the occasion, and Ana even knew of a place where we could take a few dance lessons... Apparently, her daughter Cristina's daughter, Paloma, takes a class, so I think we're going to ask her for the information. Should be interesting!

La clase de cultura y sociedad (my culture and society class) was pretty good yesterday. It's very different because while we are given the textbook and the list of themes for the course, there is no "assigned reading," so it is up to you to seguir leyendo (follow along and read) and you wish. I decided to preview the lesson on geography and the romanización of the peninsula before class... I had a vague memory of learning about the first and second Punic Wars in high school, so this was a good refresher. We spent the lesson talking about la geografía mítica, or the images/impression/opinions people may or may not share about Spain. We volunteered nuestras opiniones (our beliefs), both positive and negative, about the American conception of Spain, and then we flipped it to take the other side, or beliefs about the US a través de los ojos españoles (through the eyes of a Spaniard). I think we all agreed that Americans value competition and the capitalist way of life, as opposed to the more relaxed mentality of many Spanish citizens. Hay muchas diferencias con respecto a la comida (there are STARK differences in meals/diet), as well as healthcare policy-- it is much more universal in Spain. We talked about how less than 20% of la energía (energy) is generated in Spain, and how much more efficient they are with respect to usage. It is also obvious how different the emphasis on la familia extensa (extended family) is between here and there. It's hard enough for the American nuclear family to sit down for a meal together, let alone invite EVERYONE over multiple times durante la semana (during the week). Just some food for thought (no pun intended)...

After finishing class, Laura and I began the walk back cuando el cielo se convertió en negro y empezó a llover sin ningún aviso (basically, the sky opened up and poured on us). It was quite the sight running to catch the bus-- we had to wait a little bit for it but it was fine. We were wet and freeeezing cold by the time we got home, so we obviously snuggled right up to that heated camilla! In other news, Ana bought one for OUR planta (floor) along with a television! I tell you...

Earlier in the day, Laura had received an e-mail from one of her older sister's friends from home that was traveling in Spain this week. She coincidentally is from Dix Hills y estudia para llegar a ser rabina (studying to become a rabbi). And so, a pesar de la lluvia (in spite of the rain), Laura and I caught a bus to el Centro and met her friend outside El Catedral. We made our way over to Calle Betis and began our bar crawl. We started at this Irish pub that I had been to one of the first nights, and ended up staying there for some time until the loud music got irritating. We walked in and out of a few other places until we braved "Big Ben," the bar we had tried the other night when we met up with Andrea. It was SUCH a different scene-- casi vacío de americanos (practically empty of Americans) and it was MUCH bigger than we remembered because we could actually walk and breathe. Nos disfrutamos (we enjoyed ourselves) a lot more last night because we simply didn't recognize a soul. I am confident, now, that el modo más fácil hacerse amigo (the easiest way to make friends) with natives is to look confused y preguntarles, "dónde está el baño?" (ask them where the bathroom is!) They just can't get over the juxtaposition between our clearly American looks and great talent for speaking, I just know it. Here's all it takes:

You simply look confused. Then, you pose the question: "dónde está el baño?". Then, within seconds, not ONE but TEN Spaniards are circling you with HUGE smiles, all talking at you at once: "Americanas?" It's kind of like being Dori from Finding Nemo in the scene where she is the small fish being circled by the sharks. But these are very friendly sharks. Ultimately, you're lucky if you end up finding out where the bathroom actually is...

Laura's friend ultimately had to leave, so the two of us stayed with our nuevos amigos (new friends). We learned a lot about them, and started an intercambio system of our own, where they talked to us in English and we answered them in Spanish. I had to teach my new amigo that when you want to say, "Quiero tirar la bebida en la basura" ("I want to throw out this drink"), you can't say, "I want to throw up my drink." I explained to him that I though he was implying he had to vomit-- he was pretty mortified. We ended up landing una invitación to one of their birthday parties this weekend, so we'll see if we're up to it.

I can't express enough how grateful we are to be really immersing ourselves in as much Spanish culture and language as we can-- it was definitely out of our comfort zone at first, to leave behind the American scene, but definitely the right move for us.

Esta mañana (this morning), I went with Ana to la frutería (the fresh fruit/vegetable market). She bought kilos and kilos of almost everything they have! The guy working peeled me una madarina and let me eat it while she was making her selections. It's a nice system they have, where after she makes her selections, they take her name and address and deliver her order when she calls. It makes sense, considering how heavy the bags would be, otherwise, for a women of 76 who walks a todas las partes (who walks everywhere). We also stopped in el super (the supermarket) for some other things before returning home.

And aquí estoy (here I am)! I think what I'm going to do, because my class schedule is all Monday/Wednesday, is add an Art History class on Tuesdays... Laura is taking that, and I looked through la asignatura del programa (the syllabus, etc.) and it looks very manageable and interesting. I called today and the director said it was no problem... so it seems like Ana's son, Jaime, is here with his wife and little cosita (cute little baby) BORITA!! for lunch, so I am going to go downstairs and be social. I think Laura and I have some errands to run right here in our district on one of the main streets around the corner... they have that restaurant with the 100 kinds of little sandwiches (I posted a picture of the one in el Centro) that we want to check out at some point!

HASTA LUEGO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment